Poderi Roccanera, Barbera d'Alba Superiore

Poderi Roccanera

2016
Barbera d'Alba

At Poderi Roccanera, in Monferrato, they craft a refined Barbera d'Alba Superiore with a deep ruby red colour and succulent blackberry and blueberry favours and a great drinkability, enhanced by a very good acidty. The wine is aged in oak for 8 months and this gives a nice structure to it without overpowering it.

Variety
Barbera
Alcohol-abv
12.5%
Add to shopping cart
£25
Barbera d'Alba

Barbera d'Alba

Barbera d'Alba is a key wine appellation of Piedmont, in northwest Italy, famed for its tangy, black cherry-like red wines made from Barbera grapes. The Alba viticultural area covers both the town of Alba and the surrounding Langhe hills, and overlaps with those of Piedmont's two most famous red wines – Barolo and Barbaresco.

Barbera vines thrive in the chalky, limestone-rich clay soils here. The best Barbera d'Alba wines are sourced from hillside vineyard sites close to Barolo. Barbera d'Alba wines are generally esteemed for their deep color, low tannins and high levels of acidity which make them of an amazingly drinkability. When young they offer fresh flavors of cherries, blueberries and raspberries. The most powerful example can be relatively rich, bold and flavourful, retaining the typical fruit forwardness. Interesting how there is a distinct difference between Barbera d'Alba and Barbera d’Asti – its counterpart from the neighboring Asti province.

For a wine to be legally labeled as Barbera d'Alba, it must be made from at least 85% Barbera grapes. The other 15 percent may be made up of Piedmont's noblest wine grape. The designation Barbera d'Alba Superiore may be added to labels if the wine is aged for 12 months prior to commercial release, of which at least 4 months must be spend in oak barrels.

Piedmont

Piedmont

Piemonte, in the north-western corner of the Italian peninsula, sits at the foot of the Western Alps, which encircle the region to the north and west. Its seasons are very distinctive: hot, dry summers, cold winters, and temperate springs and autumns are common with occasional fog during harvest time. Located in north-west Italy, surrounded by the Alps, Piedmont means literally “foot of the Mountain” in Italian. .

The richness and elegance of Piedmontese wines go perfectly with the rich and creamy cuisine typical of Piedmont, with meat and risotto at the heart of every menu, not to mention the most notable ingredient, the white truffle (tartufi bianchi). Piedmont has the highest percentage of quality wines in the whole of Italy. It is home to some of the most robust, long-lived wines of the world, many of which are specific to Piedmont and have not excelled anywhere else in the world. The wines of Barolo and Barbaresco are two of Italy’s best. Like fine Bordeaux and Burgundy, these Nebbiolo wines age very well.

DOCs and DOCGs

DOC: Barbera d’Alba; Colli Tortonesi; Dolcetto d’Alba; Grignolino del Monferrato; Langhe; Loazzolo; Monferrato; Nebbiolo d’Alba; Rubino di Cantavenna; Piemonte

DOCG: Barbaresco; Barbera d’Asti; Barbera Nizza Superiore; Barbera del Monferrato Superiore; Barolo; Dolcetto d’Ovada; Erbaluce di Caluso; Gavi; Gattinara; Moscato d’Asti; Roero

The region’s pedigree is apparent in its 58 DOC and DOCG zones, and it has the highest percentage of classified wines in all of Italy.

Grape Varieties

Nebbiolo is the grape used in Piedmont's most important DOCGs: Barolo, Barbaresco and Gattinara. Barbera, a dark-skinned variety, is responsible for a growing number of superlative wines, labelled as Barbera del Monferrato, Barbera d’Asti or Barbera d'Alba.

Another important red grape is Dolcetto, with several DOCs to its name (d'Alba, d'Acqui and di Ovada are the top three). Although its name means 'little sweet one', Dolcetto gives red wines with an appetizing, gently bitter finish. Although Piedmont is known as a red-wine region, there are whites that have to be mentioned: Moscato d’Asti and sparkling Asti Spumante, both made from Moscato grapes; Gavi is the most renown still white, made from the Cortese grape, a local variety which gives a clean and citrussy white. Crisp, floral Arneis is the grape used for whites in Roero appellation..