Arianna Occhipinti, Frappato 2018

Arianna Occhipinti

2018
Terre Siciliane

Long known as a blending grape, Frappato in the hands of Arianna Occhipinti is an extraordinary wine. Light in color yet remarkable in complexity with notes of cherry, raspberry and white pepper, this wine shows what a cool Sicilian climate can produce. 70% of the frappato is macerated for two months on its skins, while the other 30% stayed on its skins for eight months.

This is 100% Frappato and a core of strawberry and raspberry fruit, complimented by herbs, flowers, black tea, salt and minerals. With only 12.5% alcohol you will be left wondering why more Sicilian wines aren't like this.

Region
Variety
Frappato
Alcohol-abv
13%
Add to shopping cart
£35
Sicily

Sicily

Sicily is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. Blessed with consistently bright sunshine and reliably moderate rainfall, the classic Mediterranean climate is ideally suited to the needs of wine-bearing grape vines. The soils, and the mountains from which they came, are of particular interest when it comes to studying Sicilian viticulture.

Mount Etna, Europe’s tallest active volcano at 10,930ft (3330m), is responsible for the mineral-rich, dark soils which characterize the Etna DOC. Vineyards are now being planted higher up on the volcanic slopes, to capitalize on the cooler air and richer soils there. Fifty miles (80km) south, the Iblei Mountains stake their place in eastern Sicilian wine. On their lower slopes and the coastal plains below them, the DOCs of Siracusa, Noto and Vittoria sweep from east to west, forming a crescent which mirrors the arcing coastline.

Wine Appellations

IGT: Sicilia; Terre Siciliane; Avola

DOC: Etna; Noto; Marsala; Pantelleria; Sicilia; Vittoria

DOCG: Cerasuolo di Vittoria Indigenous Grapes varieties White: Carricante; Cataratto; Grillo; Inzolia; Malvasia delle Lipari; Zibibbo Red: Alicante; Frappato; Grecanico; Nerello Mascalese; Nerello Cappuccio; Nero d’Avola; Perricone; Syrah

Grape Varieties

In terms of red-wine varieties, the most common after Nero d'Avola is Grecanico, accompanied by small quantities of Alicante (Grenache), Perricone, and Frappato, the latter being the key ingredient in Sicily’s only DOCG wine Cerasuolo di Vittoria. Sibling varieties Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio are also small players in terms of volume, but are of vital importance around Mount Etna. In regard of white wines the principal grape varieties are: Cataratto, Inzolia, Grillo, and Carricante